This formerly "official" website for Jesse M. Bethel High School is still active with links to current official sites, district-related websites and much more!
More Off-Site Resources for Teachers, Parents & Students:
- Common Core State Standards Initiative
- California Dept. of Education - Common Core Content Standards
- Webb's Depth of Knowlege (DOK): Video Introduction +links to three PDF files that illustrate the DOK in a wheel graph, DOK for content areas, and cognative rigor matrixes for reading/writing and math/science -- courtesy of the NYCDE
- Webb Depth of Knowledge (DOK) (10 page guide, PDF format) courtesy of MDE via APS
- California Dept. of Education - Testing & Accountability --> API, CAASPP, CELDT, CAHSEE, Smarter Balanced Assessment System
- Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortiumn
- Parent Roadmap -- supporting high school ELA from the Council of Great City Schools. [ 7 PDF pages ]
- Open Study: Tired of Studying Alone? Try Joining This Free Membership Study Group Online Community
- Education Portal - English & American Literature, Composition
- Watch, Know & Learn: Portal to thousands of educational videos related to English Language Arts & Literature
- Open Culture - Free K12 Educational Resource (including video lessons, applications, books & websites)
- Solano County Library Online Catalog Search (Get Your Library Card and Login for additional services)
- California Dept. of Education - Curriculum Frameworks & Instruction
- California Depat. of Education- Truancy (Definitions, Mandates, Interventions, Penalties
- Internet Essay Exposer: tool to confirm if a student essay has been plagerized from the Internet.
USEFUL FREE ONLINE COURSES
Touch Typing: With the arrival every Spring of "California's Smarter Balanced Testing" that requires students to compose and type a timed essay online, knowing how to "touch type" (w/o looking at fingers) is an essential skill --- as it always has been. At our local community college, Keyboarding is the most popular course offered---with a very long waiting-list of students. At this point in time, JBHS does not offer Keyboarding (aka "touch typing"). But you can still learn how to touch type for Free online! Typing websites which require you to create a username and password can store your progress. Let us know which of these online typing courses worked best for you or if there's a great one not listed here! Here are several different free typing courses in no particular order:
Jesse Bethel 2006 Student Survey: Quicktime Movie -- Student Eating, Sleeping and Study Habits
Acknowledging that the above survey was taken eight years ago and some improvements (e.g. in our school lunches) may have occurred in the intervening time, this survey is probably still a fairly accurate picture of student habits; the animation may help point the way toward positive change for some.
Interested in being a foreign exchange student for a year or hosting a foreign exchange student? Study abroad is usually recommended for a sophomore or junior year of high school. Do your research for the best organization for study abroad programs. It can be a life-changing experience. Here are some links to where you might get started with that dream:
Rate My Study Abroad - thousands of reviews, 9,000 programs, 87 countries. [http://www.ratemystudyabroad.com/]